Selecting the right college and major comes with many questions. If you have more questions that are not answered below, Recruitment Coordinator Rugelio Ramereiz is ready to help. Call 517-433-0210 or email ramereiz@msu.edu.


How do I apply to RCAH?

Interested students should apply directly to Michigan State University and indicate "Arts and Humanities" (college code 8503) as their preferred major. There is no additional application process to be admitted to RCAH; admission to RCAH is granted on a first-come, first-served basis.


When is the best time to visit?

There are various visiting opportunities and events that take place throughout the year, and our Recruitment Coordinators are happy to accommodate your schedule for individual visits at any time. Discover all of the ways to visit RCAH here.


What if I already applied to MSU?

If you have already applied to MSU and you are interested in selecting RCAH as your major, please call the main office, 517-355-0210, or send an email to rcah@msu.edu with your name, PID, and date of birth. You should receive a confirmation email within 48 hours indicating that your major has been changed to RCAH. You can also apply the change yourself by logging in to your student account and selecting “Arts and Humanities” (college code 8503) as your major preference.


How large are class sizes in RCAH?

RCAH class sizes average about 15 students. We keep class sizes down to facilitate supportive class environments and generate lively discussions and high engagement amongst students and faculty. You will never have to worry about being “invisible” in RCAH; our faculty and staff will know you by name and make themselves widely available for individual attention and support.


Will 100% of my classes be in Snyder-Phillips Hall?

While RCAH classes are all conveniently located in Snyder-Phillips hall, you will take classes in other buildings across MSU’s vast campus to fulfill the Elective Pathway requirement as well as other University requirements such as Integrated Studies (gen ed) courses.


Where do RCAH students live?

All first-year students live in Snyder-Phillips Hall in MSU’s North Neighborhood. While most students spend a minimum of two years living on campus, students can select any living option upon reaching sophomore status. Learn more about life as an RCAH student at MSU.


What is meant by a "residential college"?

RCAH is a unique "living-learning" environment where students reside, dine, and hang out together in the same building where they go to class. Faculty and administrative offices also are all located in Snyder-Phillips Hall, leading to RCAH's unique reputation as a lively and engaging learning community. Learn more about the many advantages of a residential college. 


How can I request to live with a roommate?

All first-year RCAH students live on the second floor of Snyder (women) or Phillips (men). If you do not request a roommate, you will be matched with another RCAH student. If you and another RCAH student would like to room together, you should both submit a request to live with each other in the iLiveOn Portal by May 1. It is likely that the request will be granted, but the decision will be made by the MSU Housing Assignments Office (Live On), not by RCAH. If you would like to live with a non-RCAH roommate, you may submit a request by completing the Non-RCAH Roommate Request Form. Requests for non-RCAH roommates will be considered on a first-come, first-served basis as space permits.


How big is my room? What are the dimensions? What can I bring/not bring?

Snyder-Phillips rooms are 10' x 12' in size. All rooms are furnished with two loftable beds and desks. Please direct all other questions to the Live On website.


Is there an additional cost to be in RCAH?

No, there are no additional costs. RCAH students pay the same tuition and fees as other MSU students.


How can I apply for financial aid and/or scholarships?

When you submit your application to MSU, you will automatically be reviewed for merit-based scholarships awarded by the University. Special scholarships for RCAH students require an additional application and opportunities may vary from year to year. Students are encouraged to file the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) to maximize eligibility for federal and state need-based grants, some MSU aid, and private scholarships. More information about financial aid and scholarships can be found at the MSU financial aid website.


What is my major as an RCAH student?

All RCAH students major in Arts and Humanities. During the second year, students choose an Elective Pathway to pursue within the major. The Elective Pathway enables students to pursue their own particular interests within the scope of the RCAH major, connect to and complement courses and programs available outside the RCAH, and prepare graduates of the RCAH for professional, academic, and other career opportunities. In some cases RCAH students will apply credits earned through their chosen Elective Pathway in pursuit of an additional major, minor or specialization.


What is the Elective Pathway?

While there is one major in RCAH, there are a variety of paths through the major. It is through their chosen Elective Pathway that RCAH students achieve fluency, not just proficiency in their field. It is also how faculty inside and outside the RCAH collaborate through team teaching, faculty exchanges, and other innovate instructional models and pedagogical techniques.

Learn more about RCAH academics here.


What is a liberal arts degree?

Students who pursue a liberal arts degree are not simply trained for the next position but gain competency in writing, philosophical examination, historical perspectives, and cultural understanding. They do not just learn some of the basic methods of investigation and presentation in these fields; they learn how they complement one another and how they can be used in combination to spark new ideas and new questions. That is what it means to have a competence, not just a technical skill.


What is an interdisciplinary major?

Because our world is rapidly changing, we need college graduates who are ready to adapt to the flux and thrive within it. Because it is in interdisciplinary fields that some of the most important breakthroughs, we need to prepare students from multiple perspectives and diverse disciplines. This is well understood in fields such as neuroscience and evolutionary biology. It is also true where cognitive scientists are working with musicians to better understand what it means to "be in the moment" as a performer. It is true for philosophers working with agronomists to better understand the meaning of food security and better nutritional health in poor countries. It is true for printmakers and photographers working with psychologists to understand how an image can create sympathy or, alternatively, fear. It is true for filmmakers, working in a complex digital environment, who must find the right poetic language and musical score to bring these images to life.


Can I have an additional major, minor, or specialization outside of the RCAH?

Yes. As an RCAH student, your primary major will be Arts and Humanities. As a residential college, we will be your home base for advising and scheduling. An additional major, minor, or specialization can be added as early as the first day of classes in your first year. Credits earned through an additional major, minor or specialization can applied towards RCAH’s Elective Pathway requirement.


What do most RCAH students do after graduation?

RCAH students are doing everything. From careers in both the private and public sector, to continuing their studies at some of the world’s top ranked graduate programs, RCAH students have gone on to chart their own path as leading scholars, activists, entrepreneurs, and change agents. To learn more about career planning and placement after graduation, contact Career Consultant Allison Fox or visit the Careers and Internships page.


Can I transfer into the RCAH after my first or second year?

Yes. For more information, contact Associate Dean of Students Scot Yoder.